400g whole unpeeled beetroot
150g dark chocolate, grated (I use Willy’s 100% but you can use 85% like Green & Blacks)
200g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
90g maple syrup (or honey or coconut blossom nectar or brown rice syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Heat Oven to 160 degrees
1. Boil the beetroot until soft (aprox 45 mins). Peel and cut into chunks and add to the grated chocolate in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm.
2. In a jug whisk eggs, maple syrup, xylitol and vanilla.
3. Put the beetroot and melted chocolate in a food processor and puree.
4. Add all remaining ingredients and blend briefly.
5. Pour into a lined 20cmx20cm tin for 30 mins approx.
6. Allow to cool before cutting.